Monday, March 7, 2011

Those questions


So many questions and comments from friends and family that mean well, but really it just digs at this stage of both studying and parenting. Guess I'm grumpy or would it be sensitive.

PhD

When do you finish? (ages away)

When did you start? (ages ago)

Are you still studying? (yep)

What are you going to do when you finish? (so so so much)

Who would employ you? (do you doubt I'm employable?)

My friend finished in three years (good for them, I'm green with envy)

Treat it like a job (I did but 6 years on, three kids, hubby, dog, chooks, parents etc I'll burn out)

Do you get paid to study? (yes but its peanuts)

Do you only get 4 weeks holiday a year (yes its a job but with little pay)

When X finished her PhD she had to work as a traffic conductor as she couldn't get a job (hmm that make me feel special)

Are you still studying the same subject you studied for honours? (of course I loved honours and it generated so many more questions)

Parenting

Have you tried bribing the child to stop a medical problem? (as if we haven't tried everything)

You won't know yourself when they start school (so I have no idea who I am and I'm going to change overnight?)

What are you going to do when they start school
(FINISH MY PHD OF COURSE!)


ps if you want to buy the cup above check out the cafepress web site

http://www.cafepress.com.au/+mug,9873152

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...